Are You Already A Citizen?
If your biological or legal adoptive mother or father is a United States citizen by birth, or was naturalized before you reached your 18th birthday, you may already be a U.S. citizen.
Naturalization (becoming a United States Citizen)
You may apply for naturalization when you meet all the requirements to become a U.S. citizen. General eligibility requirements are:
- You are at least 18 years of age at the time of ling (except active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces);
- You are a permanent resident of the United States for a required period of time;
- You have lived within the state or USCIS district where you claim residence for at least 3 months prior to filing;
- You have demonstrated physical presence within the United States for a required period of time;
- You have demonstrated continuous residence for a required period of time;
- You demonstrate good moral character;
- You demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution;
- You demonstrate a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government (also known as “civics”) as well as an ability to read, write, speak and understand basic English; and
- You take an Oath of Allegiance to the United States. (Some applicants may be eligible for a modified oath.)